Saturday, September 22, 2012

What we learned about drama - and Shakespeare, Part 1

"In fair Verona, where we lay our scene . . . "

I have learned many Shakespearean insults, such as: 
"Vile One!"
"Detestable fool!"
"Dung hill!" 
"Rotten one!" 
I have learnt many acting skills, like how fast to speak and how to stand still for a long time. I also learned when to make gestures with my hand - and I have learned many quotes from William Shakespeare.  I think the best person in the  play was Jessica (Juliet)  because she spoke clearly, loudly and slowly when she needed to, and fast when she needed to, and she spoke with expression.  DC the servant Peter.


 This week I learnt a lot of Shakespeare quotes and listened to people improve on their insults by changing their voices and speaking louder. My favourite insult was Ramandeep's because it sounded like she meant it (I hope not to me) and she used a lot of expression. My favourite part of the play was when Jessica (Juliet) died. 

When I got on stage in front of everybody, I forgot my lines and added one word by mistake.  Renae - narrator
"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?"


 I learnt that it  wasn't really that bad to go up on stage because you get over it once you're on the stage. I think I did well becasue I remembered my lines on the stage. My favourite part was when all the girls said together, "That night, when on her balcony above . . ." because it sounded really effective. 

The funniest part was when the boys forgot to say the narrator's  part so the girls started it off for them. The scariest part was getting up on the stage because I had butterflies in my tummy. 

I think our performance was really great because it was ten minutes long and it was the best we'd ever done it. Alisha - narrator 
Tybalt, my cousin! Romeo slew Tybalt, Romeo must not live!


 I learnt that you have to speak slower in a play than you have to in a movie. I have learnt lots about Shakespeare this week but the main one would be that he wrote sonnets as well as plays. 

The funniest part of the play would be when I couldn't open the vial (of poison) because the lid was stuck. 

I felt excited because I haven't been in a play for a long time.  
Cameron W - Romeo 


It was really fun and I love acting. It was a bit scary at first when we got on the stage, but then I got less nervous and it was easier. My favourite part was when I had to stab myself because I love fake dying /fainting; it's really fun. I would probably talk it a little slower if I did it again, but I talked better than I usually did. 

I think it was the best performance  that  we have ever done - better than the practices. I think everyone did their lines really well, and we all learnt a lot of acting skills, like showing contrast - which is when you show the difference between two opposites. For example, in "My only love, sprung from my only hate," you put the emphasis on love and hate. Jessica - Juliet

I was very proud of my speaking part, mostly because it was a good pace. I wasn't sure if I was loud enough, then asked my parents. They said I was. I also did very easy hand gestures. Things I would change next time I did it would be: I would have more eye contact with the audience and not laugh, or smile at the wrong time. 

In my opinion, the funniest part was Jackie's (Mercutio) death scene, because he was the first to die. It was also funny how he said, "O, I am hurt!" 

I learnt that I can be loud when I want to be. I was nervous when DC told me on Xbox that I was Lord Montague. I was then happy when I found out I only had two lots of lines to say.  I reckon I looked funny in my suit, with my Dad's shoes on.  I guess I looked old and smart. I was happy with me not falling down when I had pins and needles. 

I think the most improved actor was Cameron W (Romeo) because he did it at a good pace, but when in practice, he was talking too fast.  If he was a bit louder, he would have been just a bit better. The best angry/scary person was Karnjeet (Tybalt) because he scared the little kids in the front row. Fa'atonu - Lord Montague.

During the course of the term, I learnt a whole new side of Shakespeare. We mainly focused on William Shakespeare's Rome and Juliet. It was very interesting how he could write  a story that would fit any circumstance - whether it be today or in 200 years. Through learning this story, it makes you see that, though it was written 400 years ago, it can come to reality in this generation. 

When we first heard that we had to perform this play, I was a bit anxious. I was given the role of Lord Capulet. He has a couple of strong lines, and I was willing to take on the challenge. At first, I was dreading to learn my lines, but after a few run throughs it didn't seem at all that difficult. When we came to the final performance I didn't really feel nervous. I tired to act my part as best as possibl, and before we knew it, our performance was over. I personally thought Tybalt (Karnjeet) was outstanding. 

All in all, it was a very educational experience. Rudadiso - Lord Capulet.

Vile Montague! Condemned villain; thou must die!







No comments:

Post a Comment